Balsam United has now become a member of the IHE Organization.
Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE) is an initiative to promote the use of established standards such as DICOM and HL7 to achieve interoperability of health information technology (HIT) systems and effective use of electronic health records (EHRs).
IHE brings together users and developers of HIT systems to address interoperability issues that impact clinical care and to develop standard-based solutions to clinical interoperability needs, implementing those solutions in HIT systems, and deploying them in all possible healthcare settings.
Having Healthcare systems developed in accordance with IHE enables care providers to use information more effectively, improve the quality, and increase the efficiency and safety of clinical care by making relevant health information conveniently accessible to patients and authorized care providers.
Benefits of the IHE
For Healthcare providers
• Improved workflow.
• Information availability whenever and where ever needed.
• Enables seamless health information movement within and between enterprises.
• Fewer opportunities for errors.
• Fewer tedious repeated tasks/work.
• Improved turnaround time.
• Use IHE integration profiles to evaluate vendors.
• Align product interoperability with industry consensus.
• Decreased cost and complexity of interface installation and management.
• Focus competition on functionality/service space not information transport space.
For Standards Development Organizations
• Rapid feedback to adjust standards to real world.
• Establishment of critical mass and widespread adoption.
Being a member organization, Balsam United can participate in planning and technical committees.
The planning committees are responsible for establishing the priority use cases and general scope of development.
The technical committees develop the detailed specification for profiles within a domain and publish it in the IHE technical frameworks.